Organizing For Community Change
ECC joined forces on September 15 with its Community Learning Partnership (CLP) project and with The Democracy Commitment to convene the nation’s leading organizing networks, progressive educators and foundations to design pathways into community-change careers.
“Thanks to support from the Ford and Gates Foundations, over 40 national leaders were able to come together to strategize about working together to build a large, continuous and inspired pipeline of community-change agents, especially from low-income communities of color,” stated ECC President and CEO Denise Fairchild.
The convening’s multiple, overlapping objectives included ways to advance resident, institutional and community change to support our collective movement’s efforts by:
- Strengthening the skills, competencies and effectiveness of community-change activists;
- Transforming community colleges and other public educational institutions to be catalysts of community change;
- Building academic and career pathways for community residents in community-change careers; and
- Increasing long-term prospects for social, economic and environmental justice.
A related framing document lays out "The Challenge" addressed by the participants.
“The day-long convening proved dynamic, with promising new relationships and strategies identified to build stronger and more enduring movements,” Fairchild said.
In addition to ECC, CLP and The Democracy Commitment, participants included:
- American Indian Higher Education Consortium
- Antioch University
- Arab American Institute
- Asian Pacific Environmental Network
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Center for Community Change
- Center for Popular Democracy
- Community Catalyst
- Community Democracy Workshop
- Community Development Technologies Center – Los Angeles
- Community Learning Partnership – Minnesota
- Community Learning Partnership – Mississippi
- Community Learning Partnership – Phoenix
- Community Learning Partnership – Southeast Michigan
- De Anza College
- Dream Defenders
- Ford Foundation
- Forward Justice Moral Monday
- LEAD YouthBuild
- Macomb Community College
- Mikva Challenge
- Minn Community Technical College
- National Education Association
- Navajo Nation
- New Virginia Majority
- NextGen Climate Change
- Peoples Action
- PICO Network
- Public Allies – Washington, D.C.
- Restaurant Opportunities Center
- SEIU 1199/Southeast Region
- Southern Education Fund
- The Democracy Alliance
- The Funders’ Collaborative on Youth Organizing (FCYO)
- The Needmor Fund
- University of Chicago